Murray pulls out of Montpellier and Rotterdam

andrew hendrie:

Former World No. 1 Andy Murray has been forced to withdraw from two more tournaments in February, further delaying the launch of his 2020 season.

Murray announced late last month that he would be pulling out of the Australian Open due to a pelvic injury.

The decision was believed to be precautionary, but now Murray has said he will not be fit to play the Open Sud de France in Montpellier and the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam next month.

It appears as Murray’s pelvic injury is more serious than initially anticipated, with the Scot saying he doesn’t know when he’ll be able to return to the court.

“The bone bruising is taking longer to heal than first thought, so I won’t be playing in Montpellier or Rotterdam in February,” Murray said in a short statement.

“I don’t want to rush anything or put a timeline on my recovery. “I’m going to listen to my body and step back on the court to compete when the time is right.”

Murray has been training in the gym and even posted a picture to social media on Thursday with the caption ‘Grinding’.


However, the three-time major champion hasn’t been able to return to high-intensity training on the court as he continues to battle bruising around his pelvic area.

Murray put together an encouraging week towards the end of last year as he beat Stan Wawrinka to win the European Open title in Antwerp, fuelling belief that he was over the worst of his injury problems.

But Murray was only able to play one match for Great Britain at the Davis Cup Finals in November and hasn’t played since.

Murray’s latest announcement comes almost exactly to the day 12 months ago when he said that he might be forced into retirement during an emotional press conference at the Australian Open.