Andy Murray out of Australian Open with pelvic injury

andrew hendrie:

Andy Murray has been forced to withdraw from next month’s Australian Open after failing to recover from a pelvic injury.

The three-time Grand Slam champion and former World No. 1 announced on Sunday that he was ‘gutted’ to miss the 2020 Australian Open.

“I’ve worked so hard to get myself into a situation where I can play at the top level and I’m gutted I’m not going to be able to play in Australia in January,” Murray said.

“After the AO this year, when I wasn’t sure whether I’d be able to play again, I was excited about coming back to Australia and giving my best, and that makes this even more disappointing for me.

“Unfortunately I’ve had a setback recently and as a precaution, need to work through that before I get back on court competing.”

Murray, a five-time Australian Open runner-up, will also miss the inaugural ATP Cup, where he was scheduled to compete for Great Britain in Sydney from January 3.

The Scot, who underwent career-saving hip resurfacing surgery after the 2019 Australian Open, hasn’t played since Great Britain’s opening tie at the Davis Cup Finals in Madrid last month due to his pelvic issue.

Murray was planning to undergo a training block in Miami over the holiday period before flying to Australia, but didn’t end up travelling to the United States.

After some tentative practice this past week, Murray and his team have made the decision to not rush back into competition and risk aggravating his injury.

It’s believed Murray is now targeting a return to action at the ATP 250 tournament in Montpellier in February.

Murray’s injury has ruled out what would have been an emotional return to the Australian Open after the 32-year-old lost a five-set thriller to Roberto Bautista Agut at the start of this season, with the tournament playing a tribute video for the Scot with the belief it would be his final trip to Melbourne Park.

After successful hip resurfacing surgery, Murray returned to action on the doubles court during the grass season and launched his singles comeback in August, ultimately winning the 250 title in Antwerp in October for his first piece of silverware in over two years.

“I know how excited Andy was about coming back to compete in Australia in January, and how disappointed he is not to make it for 2020,” Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley said.

“Andy’s last match at the Australian Open was a five-set roller coaster that none of us who witnessed it will ever forget. His determination and iron will was on display for all to see, and it’s that fighting spirit that has driven him to come back from a potentially career-ending injury to achieve the results he has this year. 

“Although we will miss him in January, we wish him all the very best for his recovery and look forward to seeing him back on court very soon.”